Friday 19 August 2011

Week 33 Challenge - Single Layer

Welcome to another Polkadoodle challenge! I (Ruth) am your hostess this week and my challenge is:


Single Layer cards

You need to either stamp or print directly onto your card stock and add minimal embellishments - the less the better!

The Design Team have risen to my challenge magnificently (although I get the feeling they found it rather challenging!) and I found that it is a great way to get your Christmas card pile even bigger - I hope you've started making yours!!

Before we see the Design Teams creations, I'd like to announce the top three from chalenge 31 which was to CASE a Design Teams card. I think this rather stumped a lot of our regular entrants as we only had 4 participate. So as a change we have a top four!

First Place: Jo Price
Second Place: Deanne
Third Place: Zora
Fourth Place: Lydia

Congratulations! Please email Nikky for your blinkies! The first placed winner receives a download and please put in the subject field of your email your placing and the challenge number - this will make Nikky's life a lot easier!

The Polkadoodlers have a few little rules which makes our life a lot easier when we come visiting your blogs:

1. Please follow the challenge!
2. Only enter your creation into a maximum of 10 challenges including Polka Doodles.
3. Please link your blog post and not your blog address with the blue frog - this saves us from searching your blog for your entry.
4. And please no back-linking to previous posts - these will be disregarded from our top three voting.
5. If you have comment moderation and word verification on your blog it really does slow us down when leaving comments - please consider turning word verification off especially now that comment moderation has a spam section.

Now onto the Design Team samples and inspiration! If you want more detail on how their projects have been created, just click on their name and you'll be taken to their blog. Closing date for the challenge is Sunday 28 August at 12noon GMT.

Ruth: Now I really have made a single layer card! I've printed one of the toppers from the new Christmas cd Magical Winter directly onto my cardstock, folded it and added some glitter around the edge of the image and on the sign. So simple that I made 4! Have a look on my blog for the other three!


Emma, oooh, how difficult, I normally embellish everything to the death, so what a challenge this was. So, it's all about the image and colouring for me this time. I used a die cut for the card shape, the Garden Neighbours stamp plates to create the scene and Promarkers to colour, (sorry Ruth, I had to just put a couple of buttons on, my hands did it on auto pilot - I just can't help myself - but you did say minimal, so I think it still counts)



Enfys: I found this challenge hard, I am a multi-layer crafter - thank goodness for a cuttlebug and an oval embossing folder to add a bit of texture, it made a great frame for this lovely tree stamp, which I coloured with ProMarkers and embellished with red liquid pearls.

Claire I have created my single layer card on a Kraft card blank, using rubber stamps from the Wonderland collection, simply coloured with pencils.


Miria. I made my card just printing this pretty girl from A Double Sprinkle of Kraft, coloured it with Promarkers and Distress for the background and added just a ribbon and two brads.


Louise For the challenge this week I have stamped directly onto my copic cardstock and used the Fairy Flutterfly stamp 'Meeshelle'. I have coloured my image with copics and have used a Martha Stewart border punch along the bottom and added a few pearls on the flowers.


Saskia - I'm back after a lovely summer break! For this little card, I used the beautiful Fairy Flutterfly Maxine stamp. I coloured the image with some brand new Flexmarkers. I added the sweet butterflies by using the Flexmarkers and a black pen. It's a girly-card, so some glitter was required.


Lis-m: Well, I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a few Flexmarkers. Using the butterfly from the flutterfly Fairy Maggie I coloured it in, blending as I went. I like the result, kind of like a tie-dye effect.



Nikky...Wow, I love this week's challenge, it really made me think hard. I've cheated slightly because I had this card already made but it fits the bill so well I decided to include it (Ruth please forgive me the picture does have a layer under it so it is really 2 but I can't take it off now!)...I used my favest little housey stamps here and just grey Promarkers to do all the colour and shading. Did you notice the neat little trick I did? This is my fave bit of the card and why I wanted to share it...check out my blog and I'll show you ; )...



Fliss - My goodness, this was a difficult one for me too as I love to put layers on my cards and add things for texture. I went for stamping and got out my favourite Fairy Flutterfly set, Gracie. I stamped Gracie first on a scalloped card blank then masked her to add the wings. I stamped on a few flowers at random and added the sentiment near the top. I coloured all the images with a mix of Flexmarkers and Prisma pencils. Finally, I added some grass using 2 shades of green Zig Art & Graphic twin markers which are fabulous to make grass blades.


Audrey... For this one layer card I used the new CD Magical Winter Part 2. I stitched around the edges with brown floss and used Glossy Accents for the stars and heart.



Daniele: Ohhh this is my first card as part of the Polka Doodle team, I have to confess I've never worked with CDs before, but being as there are oodles of designs, papers and sentiments it was easy, I used the CD Sundae of Seasons for the border image and sentiment, printing the sentiment straight onto the card and then colouring the holly border with Prisma pencils and added Glamour dust for the details.


Colette - I used Sugar Birdies, Collectors Edition CD rom for my single layer card. I made my card up in Photoshop adding shadows to the layers to make them look dimensional even though they are not and printed straight onto linen card. I printed the inside of my card too. I added a couple of gems to the middles of the flowers to finish off the card.






Diane Like many of my teamies, I found this challenge quite difficult because it meant that I couldn't load my card with half a florist's shop and other embellies! I decided to go for one of the scenes that the uber talented Nikky has made her own and just added a sentiment from the All Around and Everywhere CD - I hope this keeps me within the rules!




Lou: I have created my card using the Wonderland stamp set. I masked different areas to create the frames and central panel. Simple colouring scheme using my Letraset Flexmarkers and then doodled the edges. The only embellishment I used was some glossy accents to add imension.



Dee: I've kept my card very minimal this week, not something I'm usually known for lol. I've taken three elements from the Granny Baker section of Magical Winter Cd1, scaled them down and printed them onto my card. I then embossed a box round each element using the Graham's Scoreboard, then added some text with a dark grey fineliner.


Good luck with the challenge! Please remember our rules and the closing date is Sunday 28 August at 12noon GMT.
*****




3 comments:

  1. Hi NIkky

    I got a problem,I can´t open the E-mail on this side. So I have to do it in this way. My Email is sassa(dot)lofquisten@hotmail(dot)se I hope this is ok :O) Thanks for lots of inspoiration on thus blog. Zora

    ReplyDelete
  2. What super cards from the DT - such a wide variety of styles & images.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful samples!!! You have really shown the different styles of one layer cards. So glad I found this challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!